baby on board

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Say What?

It isn't often that Genevieve will say something that totally surprises us. She's always been very verbal and has an incredible recollection for even the most minor details. It isn't uncommon for her to bring up a past topic months later. However, three times in the past week she has said things that just made us stop in our tracks.

Earlier this week while eating breakfast I was discussing what book I might like to read next. I said that I was thinking of reading Fight Club. Genevieve, I'm sure, has never heard of that one but immediately placed it within a context that she did understand. "Amelia Bedelia Fight Club?" she asked. Carrie and I both looked at her and started laughing. Not really aware what the joke was Genevieve started laughing too.

This morning at breakfast Genevieve turned to me and said, "Knock! Knock!" "Who's there?" I responded through a mouthful of my cinnamon toast crunch. "Don't talk with your mouth full" she reprimanded with a grin. *sigh* Outwitted by a three year old.

Yesterday I had told G that after lunch we could take a walk to the library. During lunch it started to rain. "Oh well," I said, "I guess we won't get to go to the library." "We can still go to the library," Genevieve corrected me. "But it's raining," I replied. She smiled at me condescendingly, "It'll be fine as long as we have our bumbershoots."

Now Genevieve is quick to make up words and say silly things; yet her manufactured words often sound the same. My assumption was that this was one of those times even though this word was different than her normal pattern. I looked across the table to Carrie. She gave an imperceptible shrug.

"I'm afraid I don't have a bumbershoot," I snickered. "That's alright daddy; you can borrow mommy's," she offered helpfully. At this point neither of us could contain our mirth and began to laugh. When I was partially recomposed I asked, "Genevieve, what is a bumbershoot?" "Oh," she answered, "that's what we call them in England."
Carrie began to laugh harder. "What do we call them in the states?" I asked. Exasperated with my apparent ignorance she only said one word: umbrellas.

Now I consider myself fairly well read and fairly well travelled. I'm up on many customs and jargon. But it is particularly humbling to be educated by your three year old daughter. bumbershoots

Genevieve: 2
Daddy: 0 (I'm calling the Amelia Bedelia incident a tie)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home