baby on board

Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Greatest Show On Earth

There is nothing like seeing the circus through the eyes of a child. Genevieve's Great-Aunt Rita (and I stress great) gave us two tickets to the circus. G went to the Big Apple Circus last year but I stayed home with Sophie. This time, I went to the circus and Carrie stayed home. I've never been to the Big Apple Circus but I don't believe they are known as "The Greatest Show on Earth" That title is reserved for The Ringling Brothers and they certainly put on a show.


We got there early to watch the clowns put on their makeup and see some extra performances by acrobats, magicians, jugglers and of course clowns.







Genevieve had been asking for cotton-candy and popcorn as soon as we walked in the door. I told her we could get some once we got to our seats. Consequently every time we finished seeing one act she would ask if we could go to our seats and get cotton candy. As soon as I pointed her to the next performer she was instantly mesmerized and forgot about treats until they finished. Rinse and Repeat.

We eventually did make it to our seats and got our cotton-candy. Genevieve was not able to fully process everything that was going on as there were quite a number of performers on stage at any given time. I tried to help her by pointing to things and asking, "Did you see that?" or "Can you believe that he just threw a dog twenty feet in the air through a flaming hoop?" At first I was hamming it up trying to get her into it but pretty quickly she was at the edge of her seat oohing and ahhing. I was swept up by her wonderment and became truly caught up in the show.

She had been taken in by every magic trick and slight of hand as only a child can but I will admit that there were quite a few tricks that I couldn't figure out. I knew it wasn't magic but I just couldn't see where the mirror/wire/tiger was hiding. When intermission came she was really annoyed that I told her we needed to take a potty-break but I assured her we wouldn't miss any of the show.

I guess mostly mothers take their kids to the bathroom because 1/2 of the men's bathrooms had been hastily converted into women's restrooms.

During intermission we got our popcorn and returned to our seats. The second half opened with a giant screen/flag (about 100' X 100') that dropped from vertically hanging to being draped across 1/4 of the arena. Stagehands were holding it from the sides and causing to undulate about 4 feet off the ground. Lights were flashing everywhere and then the flag was quickly retracted offstage. Underneath the flag were about 75 performers in Thai outfits as the Asian elephants came barreling into the ring. Genevieve looked at me with her jaw agape and said, "How did they all get there?" I couldn't help but laugh.

By the end of the show when the bad guy became good (her favorite part) she knew things were wrapping up. She looked at me sadly and said, "Daddy, I don't want it to be over." I told her it was time to go and we made our way to the train station. Some people in the station asked us directions to the circus. I'm not sure what tipped them off; perhaps it was the wizard hat or the big box of popcorn with an elephant on it. Either way Genevieve turned to me and said, "Daddy, they already missed it. The circus is over." I didn't have the heart to tell her there was another performance. Oh to be a kid.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home