baby on board

Friday, October 23, 2009

Segues Aren't Just For Breakfast

Carrie's parents have been visiting us this week and someone usually accompanies me while I shuttle Genevieve back and forth to her daily activities. On Wednesday Carrie's mother and I were driving back from school. I was trying to get G to tell us about her day. Usually she pleads ignorance about anything that may or may not have gone on during the day. Sometimes she'll tell me it is a secret so that she won't have to tell me. In the past this has worked as they sometimes do work on secret art projects to bring home as a surprise; lately it is just a ruse to stop the harassment.

This time I decided to be silly and ask her a series of questions about unlikely possibilities to see if perhaps she would rebut me with some actual information, hilarity ensues.

Did you learn to juggle?
No.
Did they teach you about space travel?
No.
Did they let you color on the ceiling?
No.
Did they teach you about international finance?
Oh! Speaking of international finance......

Carrie's mother and I were so amused that we didn't quite catch what she said next because her matter-of-fact tone threw us for a loop. However, I realized later in the day that it turns out she has no clue what that phrase means. She knows that you need something to go from one topic of conversation to another but isn't quite sure of the finer points.

At dinner that night we had this conversation.

Genevieve did you do anything interesting in school today?
Speaking of school, is that a real spiderman on your shirt?
What does that have to do with school?
Nothing, I just want to know if that spiderman is a real person.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home