baby on board

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

The best laid plans of mice and men

After her last checkup Carrie decided it was time to put our daughter on a schedule. Her plan was to start putting her to bed every night at 10:00 PM and to feed her every four hours starting at 6:00 AM and ending at 10:00 PM. Oddly enough this plan worked really well. We feed her a little more per feeding but since she is fed less frequently her total consumption is down. She doesn't yet make it through the night. She gets up every night at 4:00 AM for a little snack which tides her over until 6. She also usually wakes up around 2:00 AM screaming but we don't feed her. We give her a dropper full of gripe water and she passes right back out. And by passes out I mean spits her pacifier out every 10 seconds for 15 minutes until I'm ready to pass out. She didn't do it last night but I'm sure it was just a fluke.

Carrie and I have a separation of duties now. She takes anything after 3 AM and I take anything before then. Sometimes Genevieve will start crying at 2:50. I'll look at the clock hoping not to disturb Carrie. If she doesn't notice for 10 minutes, I'll be home free. However this hasn't worked yet. She always wakes up and says, "It isn't three yet!!!" I sometimes wish we didn't have a digital clock. Without her glasses I bet she couldn't tell where the big hand was on the dial.

On a side note I mentioned that Genevieve is paying attention to everything now. This is particularly true during feedings. She has picked up an annoying habit of turning her head to stare at things. This, in turn, causes the bottle to pop out of her mouth. Rather than turn her head back, she'll just continue to stare and start whimpering at the same time. It doesn't really matter if you move the bottle and put it back in because she'll just move her head another inch or so until the bottle pops out again. We played cat and mouse for 10 minutes while I tried to keep the bottle centered on her face and she kept peering left and right. I'm tempted to devise some kind of harness that will just hold the bottle in place. That'll show her.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Genevieve is the prettiest baby and I love seeing her pictures. I check the blog everyday to see what is going on. I can't wait to see her when she comes to Grandma and Grandpa's house! I plan to hold her as long as I WANT.
    Ann

     

Post a Comment

<< Home