baby on board

Saturday, April 16, 2005

Somebody get this girl a spitoon

Whether blowing bubbles, raspberries or trumpeting my daughter loves spitting. She doesn't do it all the time but the times when she does a spitting session can last 20 minutes or more. She is very proud of herself. She grins and giggles as the spittle runs down her chin soaking her collar. Carrie has informed me that we need to wipe it off or she can get a rash due to her chin being wet all the time. Like a good father I pick up my nearest napkin, wash-cloth or cloth diaper and wipe her chin dry. However, being a precocious four-month old she attempts to chew on anything I attempt to wipe her mouth with. As I bring the cloth near her chin she turns towards it already moving her mouth in anticipation of getting her gums on it. A quick wiping motion across the face and her head turns like a little a little racing fan watching the pack move in front of her seat. Well, more like a racing fan that is trying to eat the pack.

She certainly loves putting things in her mouth. Any new texture, color or body part is fair game. This makes dressing her even more of a challenge. She is constantly trying to eat her clothing as I pull it over her head. She also seems to have an uncontrollable desire to put her hands in her mouth while I'm trying to pull them through her sleeves. Without fail, whichever hand is currently in mid sleeve is the one that MUST go into her mouth. She fights and struggles to pull it closer to her mouth as I fight and struggle to finish pulling it through the sleeve. As soon as it breaks free of the cuff she quickly loses interest but now it is on to the next hand which is about to be in mid-sleeve.

While she doesn't quite have the fine motor skills down yet I did watch her pick up her pacifier today and stick it into her mouth. This might be the start of something wonderful or it could just be a brief glimmer of things to come. Since she rolled over 2 months ago she only repeated the trick on one other occasion. I'm sure self-pacification is going to be the same way. I wonder if Gerber makes duct-tape.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home