baby on board

Monday, October 30, 2006

THE Mommy

Genevieve is in a Transition-to-Separation class. All of the other mothers have managed to actually separate from their children except for me. Progress is being made, though. Last week she was able to go the playground without me being there and she now interacts more with the children and teachers. We were on track to try a little more quality away time today when trouble struck. We will call this trouble "M".

M started the class today and came in with her Granny. The child is adorable and amazingly speaks more than Genevieve. After playing for a while she brought over a stuffed Barney for me to see and called me "Mommy". A lot of the kids call me Mommy by mistake but then walk off once they realize their mistake so I thought nothing of this. Then it was time to go upstairs to the tumbling room. All the kids are supposed to hold hands with each other or the teachers. Genevieve insists on holding my hand and today M insisted on holding my hand, too. We all thought this was cute and up the stairs we went. Once into the tumbling room Granny and I went out into the hall to do a little separating. I heard crying almost immediately but did not recognize it as Genevieve's. Then I heard more kids crying and the door opened. Granny ran to the door so she could go in and calm down M. The teacher said, "Oh, no! I'm sorry, but she doesn't want you. She's asking for 'The Mommy'." The teacher then pointed to me. I had to go inside and calm down M and Genevieve. It seems that M started crying as soon as I left the room. Genevieve was fine until she saw that M was crying and asking for The Mommy and then proceeded to cry, too. I held Genevieve in one had and M in the other and finally calmed them both down. (My hat is off to those of you with twins.) The teachers asked me to help out with M since it was her first day and they didn't want to upset her.

M's fascination with The Mommy continued to grow. She wouldn't sit down for snack time because she didn't want to leave The Mommy. She held my hand the entire time we were at the playground because she didn't want to leave The Mommy. Genevieve wasn't exactly thrilled with this since I was her Mommy first and insisted that I hold her, too. The other kids thought that Genevieve and M must know something they didn't and also wanted to hold my hand or at least show me what they were playing with. The whole time this is happening poor Granny is off to the side wondering what in the world is going on.

The teachers apologized to me afterwards and said that they really thought Genevieve was ready to separate more but that M's infatuation with me seems to have backtracked her a bit. It seems that I need to now separate from two children.

I have to see what this kid's mom looks like.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home