baby on board

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Change She Can Believe In

Sophie's language skills have taken off. She's got more words than we care to count and has already started stringing together sentences. So far the longest I've heard is four words. "Mommy, more milk please." Pretty polite for a 19 month-old.

She has also started counting. We play a lot of hide and seek. Mostly Sophie and I cover our eyes while Genevieve hides in one of the same four spots. I grew tired of this level of hide and seek but G isn't quite ready to figure out new places to hide. Sophie on the other hand never tires of this game which works out well for me. Mostly I just have to do the counting and direct Sophie as she walks around shrugging her shoulders saying "Where'd she go?"

Sophie's idea of counting used to be covering her eyes and saying "un. to. un. to. un. to." Sometimes she'll throw in a "fee" for good measure. Now she's happy to count without covering her eyes. Carrie heard her count up to six but all I've heard is "one. two. sik." I'm not sure what happened to three four and five but I'm pretty sure that seven ate nine. (Sorry, I deal with children a lot.)

Sophie has also picked up some sign language. She knows the signs for more and change. Of course she knows the words for these and while keep saying and signing until she gets what she wants. As soon as shes soiled her diaper she'll start saying "change. change. change." If you don't heed her cries it gets louder and more urgent. I can understand. I wouldn't really want that in my pants either but it still isn't fun to be woken up bright and early in the morning to a rousing chorus of the "change. change. change." song.

Here's a short video of Sophie doing animal noises from a few weeks ago. We don't just go for the standard animals around here; Carrie really likes to test her limits.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home