baby on board

Saturday, October 10, 2009

It Does A Body Good

We've recently switched Sophie to chewable vitamins. She doesn't like the taste of the ones we have. I can't really blame her the iron in them makes the taste pretty gross. Genevieve solves this problem by chewing them while drinking her strawberry milk. There is no taste that can overpower the hyper-sweetened syrupy pink goo that comes out of the Quik container.

At first Sophie would happily chew them and then let vitamin slurry dribble down her face. After much reprimanding this behavior has stopped. Now she just hides the vitamin in her cheek and doesn't actually chew it. I'm pretty sure if I look hard enough I'll find a cache of them in the play pen where she has been secreting them after breakfast. Saturday morning I decided to wait her out. I would ask her to open her mouth to show me that she had finished her vitamin. At first she opened her mouth wide but after several repetitions she realized that perhaps she shouldn't show me the vitamin. After that point she would open her mouth just enough to show me her tongue but kept the vitamin firmly between her cheek and gums. Her poker face isn't very good because I knew she was bluffing.

We eventually waited another 20 minutes at the breakfast table. I'm not sure she ate the vitamin but it wasn't in her mouth anymore and I couldn't find it on the floor or table. Maybe she ate it or maybe she's been learning prestidigitation.

Well, the today Carrie wasn't quite as patient as I was. I got up late as the kids were finishing breakfast. I sat down just in time to finish Sophie's oatmeal and jelly toast as the kids ran off to play. I spent the next 45 minutes getting the car and our lunches ready for our day picking apples. After that was all done I headed upstairs to make sure the kids were ready. Carrie informed me that they needed to brush their teeth and get their shoes on and they will be done.

Into the bathroom they marched and Genevieve dutifully brushed her teeth. Sophie however refused to brush.

"Sophie, brush your teeth."
emphatic head shake.
"Please brush your teeth."
"No!"
"Ok, Daddy do."
I pick up the tooth brush and start to put it in her mouth when she says, "No, vitamin!"
"Open your mouth."
She opens incredibly wide and there tucked into the back corner of her mouth was the vitamin. I suppress my giggle and ask her to eat it up. She mostly does and we are on our way. I don't know what to think: perhaps she fooled me yesterday; she certainly fooled Carrie today.

To top the story off, this afternoon she is sitting on the potty pretending that she has to poop. I finally pick her up to take her off. She grabs my ear and pulls a plastic quarter out of it. I'm totally serious...she had a plastic quarter in her hand. Now I'm pretty sure she did some sleight of hand and made the vitamin disappear the first day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home