baby on board

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Decisions, decisions, decisions

Like most two year olds G isn't good with open ended questions. She is pretty good at making selections when there are limited choices. If you give her two options, she'll usually pick one even when she doesn't really like the outcome. At bed time if we were to say, "Do you want to change your diaper?" We'll often hear the reply, "No, I'm changed enough." However, if we phrase it in the form of a choice, "Do you want Daddy or Mommy to change your diaper?" She'll dutifully choose one of the options. Though, lately she's started picking up on this and if she is really being difficult she will say she wants neither.

In times like this we resort to reverse psychology. Basically we just tell her she can't do something and then in her mind it will become imperative. I was amazed at how easy it was the first time I tried it.
"Genevieve, it is time to brush your teeth."
"No, I don't want to brush my teeth tonight."
Time for el reverso. "Okay, you can't brush your teeth and you can't have any fluoride."
It was just like flipping a switch *DING*
"I want to brush my teeth"
"No, you can't brush your teeth. You aren't allowed."
"Daddy, I need to brush my teeth and have fluoride."
"Okay, fine; you can brush your teeth."

You have to be careful with this tactic because if you deny her for too long she will start to cry. What was just a simple parental desire for good hygiene could become a thirty to forty minutes task of comforting. I will say playing mind games with a 2.5 year old and winning doesn't really make me feel like a good parent. Though, I imagine if I lost I would just feel ashamed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home