baby on board

Monday, May 14, 2007

All a matter of perspective

Genevieve has recently developed a sense of humor. She'll cackle madly and announce, "Daddy, I'm laughing at you!" It doesn't really matter if I've done anything out of the ordinary; she's just decided to have a hearty laugh at my expense. Fortunately her wit isn't always directed at me. She'll laugh at Carrie and even the cat. Of course the cat doesn't mind as long as Genevieve isn't actively hugging her. "I love you, Noodles. I love you so much!! Why are you running away?"

Unfortunately, as fast as she's progressing she has also reverted a bit. I don't really blame her though; I blame Disney. I've accepted the fact that she'll be a child of corporate America just like the rest of us. I dutifully explain to her the mythos of the cereal box. Rice Krispies are made by the magical elves Snap, Crackle and Pop. Wendel the Cinnamon Toast Crunch Baker decided to kill the other two bakers when sales were slipping. However, I never expected what would happen after letting her watch a single Disney film. Up until now she has been able to say the name of every animal we have shown to her. She can even do the sounds for most of them. This all came to a crashing halt after she watched "The Heffalump Movie." She now refuses to say the word elephant. She believes it is properly pronounced heffalump and even corrects us when we say it properly. I hope Walt gets freezer burn in his cryogenic tube.

Not all of her corrections are erroneous. In fact, while recently visiting in Georgia, she got to correct her Grandpa a few times; much to his chagrin. While kidding around with G, he declared, "I don't know nuthin'." Genevieve, like the good little grammar cop, said patiently "Grandpa, you don't know anything either" However, English isn't the only tongue where she feels confident enough to correct her elders. While reading a Dora book, Grandpa hesitated on the pronunciation of a few Spanish words. Of course Genevieve was more than happy to assist: "Quatro, Grandpa, it means four"

The weather this weekend was perfect for working in the garden. Carrie and I planted our vegetable garden. Genevieve helped but it was hard to explain to her that after we finished planting she wasn't allowed to dig in the flower bed any more.

Here she is showing off her farming skills with her own hoe.


Nothing cools you off quite like pressing your belly against the side of an above ground pool!?!?

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 11:08 PM, Blogger chickenncookies said…

    OK. I've been reading this for years now, and I'm starting to see a bit of a trend. Since this will likely be Genevieve's look back on herself as a child, could you please post some evidence that she isn't an insufferably adorable wise-ass? I mean, for posterity and all -- won't you think of the children!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home