baby on board

Saturday, August 04, 2007

What are they teaching kids these days...

Genevieve picks up quirky behaviors very often these days. They tend to only last a for a short period of time but for the life of me I can't figure out where they come from. I can only assume she is learning them in school or on television though they could just be coming from her own imagination.

One of her latest is "safe kissing." When it is time to kiss her good night she will say, "Wait; let me put my blanket on you so that you will be safe." Of course, being a good parent I humor her by pausing in mid pucker while she stretches out her short arms to wrap a small blankie around my neck like a neckerchief. I feel sort of like Fred from Scooby Doo especially since the blankie is pink with a fuzzy bunny head on the end. Once it is firmly situated she will allow a kiss. I'm not sure if she is protecting me, her or both of us nor am I sure what she thinks this will protect us from. Before you say that she must have detected cooties I can assure you that I am not the only one who gets this treatment. Carrie is also subjected to a wrap before kissing her good night. I'm also pretty sure she doesn't know about cooties yet. Though, perhaps if I teach her the cooties shot she will not be so concerned with the precautionary blanket.

Genevieve, always a good eater, has never really had a problem finishing her dinner. She may not eat everything on her plate but that is often because she's on seconds or thirds. Recently she'll stop in the middle of dinner and decide not to eat anymore. She'll sit up; look thoughtfully at me and lilt, "Maybe, dessert." "No Genevieve," I'll say, "not tonight." "Maaaybee....desserrrrt," she'll stretch the syllable of each word melodically. I can only imagine she is trying to hypnotize me so that I will acquiesce to her demands. "Not tonight." "You could have it if you want too." "But I don't want to. Not tonight." I can't believe I'm having this conversation. "maybee..chocolate....or ice cream" *sigh*

Okay, so maybe wanting dessert isn't so quirky. And I can probably guess where that came from but I can hope that it will pass quickly. It is doubtful but I can hope. Lest you think that I am heartless, Carrie gives her ice cream every day after nap time which usually ends only an hour or so before dinner. Sometimes when she asks for dessert we just tell her that she had dessert before dinner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home